At the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum
*******ENQUIRIES TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED******
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW ENQUIRIES UNTIL AT LEAST 31ST AUGUST, AS WE HAVE A LARGE NUMBER TO PROCESS. This page will be updated when we are able to accept new enquiries once again.
We have a small team of experienced volunteer researchers who are able to carry out archival research enquiries.
Our researchers combine information held within our own archive, and various other sources, to produce the most thorough picture of an individual.
Some of our researchers have published a number of books on military history (specifically WWI). Having this expertise means that they can analyse and interpret any data they find in the most effective way.
How can we help?
We hold many unique records within our archive, such as:
- Officer’s records (which can be combined with Officer’s data held in our archive)
- Enlistment records
- Photographs (Predominantly WWI)
- Regimental journals (such as ‘The Sphinx and the Dragon’, and ‘The Back Badge’)
- Officer embarkation rolls
- WWI database (containing over 40,000 records of individual soldiers)
Our researchers will take time to find as much information as they can for you, using and interpreting the unique resources we hold in our archive, and information held elsewhere. As we are a registered charity we are dependant upon donations to keep our Museum open, and so we ask for a payment of £35 per soldier, per enquiry. In some circumstances, we may only be able to provide only background information, but the donation is non-refundable as every enquiry takes time and resource to carry out.
How to submit an enquiry
- Search for the soldier within our online Soldier Search database (click here)
- Pay the £35 research fee
- After making payment you’ll receive a confirmation email. Reply to this email with any information you already have about this person (some information may seem unhelpful but might really help us with the enquiry), so please do tell us everything you already know.
- Our researchers will then carry out your enquiry and be in touch with you in due course. Please allow up to 8 weeks for your enquiry to be processed.
Please note that the database is predominantly composed of soldiers who served in WW1. If the soldier you are interested in is not in the database please email firstname.lastname@example.org with everything you currently know about the soldier and we will get back to you.